Skills set in demand in Canada
Posted by admin
Recently there has been a lot of talk on “skills shortage” in Canada. To analyze this further, a team was set up and sent over to the Higher Education Quality Council of Ontario. It turned out that Canadian employers are surely looking to hire people who can work well with others, have effective oral communication skills (especially in English, but bilingual are even more welcomed). Those who have efficient computer skills are also the need of the hour.
Below are the 13 skills appearing most often in job postings:
- Working along with others – 93%
Team work, collaboration, working well with others in a team, across teams/verticals. Also need to be a people’s person.
- Effective Oral communication – 84%
Oral and effective communication, proactive in expressing ideas and opinions clearly.84% of employers mentioning communication in English and additional language French.
- Computer skills and usage – 74%
Computer usage refers to common software programs, basic and middle-level computer skills.
- Administrative and organizational skills – 64%
These skills are the ability to manage duties through efficient planning, time management, detail orientation and prioritization, as well as budgeting, and file management make up the fourth most sought-after skillset.
- Document usage – 58%
Research/writing, as well as grammar, word processing, and spreadsheet abilities come in as the 5th most requested skills by Canadian employers.
These are 8 additional skills most commonly listed in online job postings.
- Results/goal-oriented 14%
- Energetic 9%
- Positive and an open attitude 9%
- Reliable/dependable 8%
- Flexible 7%
- Proactive & Driven 6%
- Entrepreneurial 5%
- Quick learner 5%
There is a need for white and blue collared jobs as well. Though blue collared jobs are the quickest filling.
Here are the job postings most sought after by Canadian employers:
- Truck drivers
- Registered nurses
- Retail Salespersons and Sales Clerks
- Skilled Trade Workers
- Financial managers
- Food Counter Attendants, Kitchen Helpers and Related Occupations
- Dental Hygienists and Dental Therapists
- Barbers, Hairdressers, and Beauticians
- Couriers and delivery people
- Customer Service Reps
- Food and Beverage Servers
- Healthcare Technicians
- Administrative Assistants
- Advertising, Marketing and PR Managers